About the Position
We’re looking for an organized, detail-oriented and proactive Operations Coordinator to join our team at HackerYou. In this role, you’ll support every single aspect of a student’s experience with Continuing Education programs at HackerYou, from the moment they submit an application to their experience as an Alumni. The bulk of your work will focus on their experience with us as a student, from the first day of class until the moment they graduate. You’ll also be intensely focused on the collection of data and feedback so that you can appropriately prioritize changes (we want data to back up your “gut feelings”). We want to ensure that we are creating the most impactful, thoughtful, and enjoyable in-person technology learning experiences in the whole world - and that’s why we need you!
Ultimately, you will be responsible for making our Continuing Education programs incredible experiences - and ensuring everything about them runs smoothly without a hitch! You’ll do things like schedule courses and manage logistics - we have four classrooms over 12,000 square feet, so there’s always a lot going on! You’ll also help recruit, onboard, train and retain contract instructors and teaching assistants (we call them mentors), ensuring that each program has incredible teaching staff, and that those important members of the HackerYou community feel supported in doing their best work. You’ll help process-ize the HackerYou magic, ensuring that every course we run feels “HackerYou” and is consistent with the high level of quality that our students expect. There’s also a bunch of operations tasks that have to happen for each course we run: things like ensuring students have access to course materials, printing out nametags, managing support materials, etc. You’ll also support and animate our Continuing Education alumni community, by doing things like planning Office Hours and other “outside of class” experiences. At the end of every program, you’ll ask students for feedback so that we can continue making our programs even better. You’ll also be the point person for HackerYou workshops, ensuring workshops participants have nametags, lunch, and anything else they may need to be able to focus and learn. All in all, you’ll directly impact over 1100 learners in 2019 alone.
Reporting to our Director of Continuing Education, you will be an integral member of HackerYou’s 30-ish person team. We’re a close-knit and passionate team, and it’s important to us that everyone who joins us fits with our core values: 1) We are welcoming, 2) We are collaborative & community-oriented, 3) We deliver a “Wow” experience, 4) We do what it takes, 5) We do what’s right, 6) We have fun! If those values resonate with you, please...read on!
This role is ideal for a detail-oriented and organized individual with one to three years of experience looking to join a super dynamic team poised for growth and impact. It’s also perfect for someone who has discovered a passion for teaching and mentoring, or for someone who wants to start their own business one day - this role will give you the chance to learn a whole bunch about startups, small businesses, technology and education while contributing to a team that really cares about making a difference. It could also be a great fit for someone with experience in project management, event management or operations. Please note that we don’t care at all about things like degrees or diplomas. We care about finding great people to join our team, and then helping them to reach their full potential!
Founded in 2012, HackerYou (also known as the HackerYou College of Technology, now that we’re a registered Private Career College) is a well-loved provider of hands-on, project-based training for people who want to learn to code or become professional developers! From our 12,000 square foot office in downtown Toronto, we run full-time and continuing education courses year-round. We also run workshops, corporate training events, and we rent out our office to external groups. With thousands of alumni and 1000+ students a year, there’s a large community of people ready to welcome you to HackerYou!
Here's a sample of HackerYou's Operations Coordinator responsibilities:
- Helping recruit, onboard, train and retain instructor and mentor teams, ensuring each course has an amazing team at its helm at least three months before the course begins.
- Prepping course materials and ensuring students have access to everything they need to succeed in class.
- Scheduling courses, office hours, workshops, etc. and managing logistics to ensure a smooth experience for all students and instructors.
- Creating methods for collecting leading indicators of program quality.
- Ensuring graduates of our Continuing Education programs are so passionate about their experiences that they want to leave reviews (and being comfortable asking them to!)
- Ensuring the HackerYou Instructor and Mentor Community is kept up-to-date on changes to our programs and has everything they need to do their jobs to the best of their ability.
- Helping to coordinate quarterly meetings for the HackerYou Instructor and Mentor Community for team building, sharing updates, collecting feedback and having fun!
- Creating training documents and materials to ensure that every time a course is run, it’s at the highest level of quality.
- Coordinating monthly student & alumni Office Hours and being an active presence at them to animate the community. (You’re the face of HackerYou to our Continuing Education alumni!)
- Coordinating workshops by ensuring instructors and participants have everything they need for a successful learning experience
- Responding to inquiries from current students and Continuing Education alumni.
- Other tasks as required
- You are insanely organized, detail-oriented and customer-focused
- You have a track record of getting things done
- You are comfortable using Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- You are not intimidated by numbers or light analysis in MS Excel
- You can step in to make decisions and take ownership over a project
- You can manage multiple projects, deadlines and priorities
- You take pride in your ability to meet deadlines
- You are driven to see projects and tasks through to completion
- You have a ‘no job is too big or too small’ mentality
- Most of all, you have a positive attitude and a desire to help others!
Please note that this is a full-time, permanent position. We’d love to have someone start as soon as possible, but ultimately we’re flexible - it’s more important for us that we find the right person to join our team!
Perks & benefits
Please visit our Careers page at hackeryou.com/careers for a full list of perks & benefits.
How to apply
Please apply via this link! We’d love to see your resume, and anything else you’d like to provide us! All applications are appreciated, but we will only contact successful applicants to move on to the next stage.
Doesn't sound like the job for you?
If you're looking for a career change but this position doesn't sound like a good fit, our Web Development Immersive Bootcamp can help. With a grad employment rate of 97% and an average entrance salary of $53,872, becoming a developer is something you won't regret. Find out more about our Bootcamp here or download our student outcomes report to find out more about our grads' success. You can also sign up for our newsletter below to be the first to find out about new job openings at HackerYou.