About the Position
We’re looking for a creative, energetic and proactive Product Manager to join our team at HackerYou. For this role, you must be comfortable with the main concepts of Computer Science, though formal Computer Science education isn’t necessary. What is necessary, though, is an obsession with creating engaging experiences, because experiences are our “products”! In this role, you’ll think about every single aspect of a student’s experience with our brand-new Computer Science programs at HackerYou, from the moment they apply to their experience as an Alumni. The bulk of your work will focus on their experience with us as a student, from the first day of class until the moment they graduate, including curriculum. You’ll also be intensely focused on the collection of data and feedback so that you can appropriately prioritize changes (we want data to back up your “gut feelings”). We want to ensure that we are creating the most impactful, thoughtful, and enjoyable computer science learning experiences for beginners as well as intermediate developers in the whole world - and that’s why we need you!
Ultimately, you will be responsible for our brand-new Computer Science course, which we expect will have hundreds of students a year. Also part of your portfolio are our Computer Science-related workshops, both those offered to the public as well as those offered on-site at tech companies around Toronto. Through your portfolio you’ll directly impact hundreds of learners in 2020 alone.
Reporting to our Head of Continuing Education and as a member of a six-person team, you will be an integral member of HackerYou’s 35-ish person team. While experience as a manager is a nice-to-have, we’re also ready to support you in building that skill set. We’re a close-knit and passionate team, and it’s important to us that everyone who joins us fits with our core values: 1) We are welcoming, 2) We care deeply about people, 3) We do what's right, 4) We are always improving, and 5) We have fun! If those values resonate with you, please...read on!
This role is ideal for a developer with one to three years of experience looking to make the switch into Product Management and who wants to develop skills around management. It’s also perfect for someone who has discovered a passion for teaching and mentoring, or for someone who wants to start their own business one day - this role will give you the chance to learn a whole bunch about startups, small businesses, technology and education while contributing to a team that really cares about what we do every day. It could also be a great fit for someone with experience in sales, service design or operations – assuming you also have knowledge of Computer Science! Please note that we don’t care at all about things like degrees or diplomas. We care about finding great people to join our team, and then helping them to reach their full potential!
Founded by Heather Payne in 2012, the HackerYou College of Technology is an innovative technology school based in Toronto, Canada. As a registered Private Career College, HackerYou offers courses for people who want to land jobs in tech - fast - and serves over 1000 students a year from a 12,000 square foot campus in downtown Toronto.
With thousands of alumni and a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, HackerYou has trained some of the brightest young minds in the country and is poised to continue to have a major impact on the education landscape in Canada and beyond.
Here's a sample of HackerYou's Product Manager (Computer Science) responsibilities:
- Maintaining and updating curriculum for our Computer Science program using the latest best practices
- Creating brand new and highly creative exercises for Computer Science programs (and working with our designers when applicable to ensure they’re remarkably beautiful!)
- Creating methods for collecting leading indicators of program quality
- Ensuring graduates of our Computer Science programs are so passionate about their experiences that they want to leave reviews (and being comfortable asking them to!)
- Instructing one evening or weekend Computer Science program per calendar year (to ensure you’re always familiar with our offerings!)
- Collaborating with the Head of Continuing Education, our CTO and the Bootcamp Team to ensure curriculum across courses are complementary
- Ensuring the HackerYou Instructor and Mentor Community is kept up-to-date on changes to our programs and curriculum
- Helping to coordinate quarterly meetings for the HackerYou Instructor and Mentor Community for team building, sharing updates, collecting feedback and having fun!
- Managing and marking Technical Challenges from students looking to apply to our programs without completing prerequisites
- Creating training documents and materials to ensure that every time a Computer Science course is shared with students, it’s at the highest level of quality
- Contributing to the development and maintenance of HackerYou’s website and web applications
- You are insanely creative and can come up with awesome ideas for making courses, curriculum and even education in general way better than the status quo
- You would be comfortable leading a group through lessons on Computer Science topics
- You have a track record of getting things done
- You are comfortable using Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- You are not intimidated by numbers or light analysis in MS Excel
- You can step in to make decisions and take ownership over a project
- You can manage multiple projects, deadlines and priorities
- You take pride in your ability to meet deadlines
- You are driven to see projects and tasks through to completion
- You have a ‘no job is too big or too small’ mentality
- Most of all, you have a positive attitude and a desire to help others!
Please note that this is a full-time, permanent position beginning as soon as possible (but we’re flexible).
Perks & benefits
Please visit our Careers page at hackeryou.com/careers for a full list of perks & benefits.
How to apply
Please apply through this link. We’d love to see your resume, and anything else you’d like to provide us! All applications are appreciated, but we will only contact successful applicants to move on to the next stage.