About the Position
We’re preparing for an exciting year ahead at Juno College! We’re looking for instructors who are collaborative, empathetic, and passionate about teaching, to join the Juno team. In this role, you’ll work directly with our students, teaching them the ins-and-outs of front-end web development, and supporting them as they build amazing projects. We care deeply about all of our students and we want to ensure a thoughtful, stimulating, and positive experience from their very first day in their first class with us, all along their journey learning new skills, and for our Bootcamp students, to the day they accept a shiny new position in tech.
You will be directly responsible for teaching our curriculum through lessons, code-alongs, and interactive exercises. You’ll also work with students individually and in groups to support their projects, help them resolve issues, and mentor them through code debugging and technical problem-solving. Day-to-day duties will include preparing for and delivering lessons, in-class mentoring, and supporting project work time, as well as participating in the various events that make up our courses and programs.
As a private career college, all of our instructors need to have at least 2 years of practical, real-world experience as developers. It would be great if you also have any experience as a teacher, instructor, or mentor, in any discipline.
Founded in 2012, Juno College of Technology (formerly HackerYou College of Technology) is a well-loved provider of hands-on, project-based training for people who want to learn to code or become professional developers! From our 12,000 square foot office in downtown Toronto, we run full-time and continuing education courses year-round. We also run workshops, corporate training events, and we rent out our office to external groups. With thousands of alumni and 1000+ students a year, there’s a large community of people ready to welcome you to HackerYou!
Here's a sample of a Juno’s Instructor responsibilities:
- Planning & delivering lessons
- Updating the curriculum notes to incorporate changes in technology, or to improve clarity
- Working individually and in small groups with students to diagnose and solve technical problems
- Collaborating with other instructors to prioritize and review program improvements
- Other tasks as required
- You’re an excellent public speaker and written communicator
- You are collaborative, energetic, empathetic, and a great technical problem solver.
- You have a strong understanding of modern HTML & CSS features and usage.
- You are comfortable using an advanced code editor, such as VS Code, or an advanced text editor, such as SublimeText.
- You’re comfortable using Git, GitHub, Google Docs, Sheets, and Drive.
- Most of all, you have a positive attitude and a desire to help others!
It would also be great if,
Additionally, our instructors must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a Bachelor degree from an Ontario university or an equivalent degree, or
- Be a graduate of a College of Applied Arts and Technology or equivalent, or
- Be a graduate of a registered private career college or equivalent, or
- Be the holder of a Certificate of Qualification under the Trades Qualifications and Apprenticeship Act or the Apprenticeship Certification Act or equivalent Canadian certificate, and
- Have 24 months occupational experience in the vocation to be taught
- Have 36 months of teaching experience in the vocation for which instruction is given and
- 24 months occupational experience in the vocation to be taught
- Have 48 months of occupational experience in the vocation for which instruction is given
Please note that this is a full-time, permanent position. We’d love to have someone start as soon as possible, but ultimately we’re flexible - it’s more important for us that we find the right person to join our team!
Perks & benefits
Please visit our Careers page for a full list of perks & benefits.
How to apply
Please apply via this link! We’d love to see your resume, and anything else you’d like to provide us! All applications are appreciated, but we will only contact successful applicants to move on to the next stage.